Pages

Monday, 3 December 2018

Pincushions


Pincushions made from a piece of weaving that was more of a learning experience than fun, thanks to broken and sticky threads in the warp. I managed to salvage bits of the fabric that didn't have too many errors or missing threads to make some small projects like these pincushions.


The other components are plastic lids, some plastic pellets to add a bit of weight and wool roving. I'm keeping one for myself and the others are Christmas gifts for the local weaving group that I belong to.


Warp: Unmercerised cotton, 40/2 - used double
Sett: 48 epi
Weft: Cotton/rayon and rayon yarns
Pattern: Advancing twills from Heddlecraft magazine, Jan/Feb 2016

Tuesday, 6 November 2018

A quiet moment in the bush during Guide camp a couple of weekends ago. I was waiting at one of the final stages in an Amazing Race activity which meant I didn't see anyone else for a while. My phone needed charging so I used my camera which I haven't used for a long time, I tried the macro setting but I think I need to find the manual and learn how to use it properly. 






Tuesday, 2 October 2018

Ripples In The Sand




Patterns left in the sand as the tide goes out fascinate me as evidenced by the many photos on my phone and woven shibori seemed like a way I could reproduce them in my weaving. My main reference was the book, Woven Shibori by Catharine Ellis which the awesome Auckland Library has available has an e-book and then lots of looking around the internet. 
All gathered up ready for dyeing.
Starting to gather up the pattern threads.


The warp and weft is 2ply wool from Anna Gratton and the shibori pattern weft is 10/2 cotton. 
I wove the fabric in tabby and the pattern weft was woven in some simple twills. I used acid dyes and fully imersed the bundles in the dye solution, then applied another colour(s) with a brush along the edges and steamed it to set.  Some patterns were more successful than others but overall I was pleased with the results.




And then I cut it up and made a jacket.  The pattern is the Indochinese Jacket from Creative Dressing by Kaori O'Connor. This book has sewing and knitting patterns as well as being an interesting read and  I recommend picking up a copy if you ever come across it.  It was published in the 1980s which is when I got my copy :)


Tuesday, 8 May 2018

Art Yarn Weaving


I've just been to the Creative Fibre education event "First Light Fibres" which was held in Gisborne. It was a great event, lots of classes to choose from and people to meet.  One of the classes I attended was Weaving with Art Yarns led by Hilde Blank. It was fun playing with my yarns without any specific plan in mind and I like the end product though I'm not sure what I will do with it yet.

 Yarns:  my own handspun and dyed yarns, mostly wool but some mohair and silk fibres and dark    greyAshford Tekapo 8 ply
Loom: Ashford SampleIt rigid heddle
Dimensions (after washing): 1.29m x 19cm



Sunday, 7 January 2018

Three-Shaft Threading

A quick and colourful weaving project to finish 2017.

Draft: Three-shaft extended point threading: 1/2 and 2/1 twill from Handweaver's Pattern Book by Anne Dixon
Warp: 5/2 mercerised cotton
Weft: 5/2 mercerised cotton as for the warp
Sett: 16 epi
Loom: Ashford  4-shaft table loom

 
 


The December issue of the Creative Fibre magazine included some tips for new weavers and one of them was to adjust your Texsolv heddles so the 'eyes' face to the front so that was my first weaving job for 2018.