Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

17 May 2017

 We had a challenge at our Spinners & Weavers Group retreat to create a wallhanging referencing the design of a cloak with a border and ties at the neck.  The main body was knitted using a strand of flax/harakeke and in my case jute.

The border was woven using a simple outdoor loom made of yarn tensioned between tent pegs stuck in the ground ( I really thought there'd be a photo of something like that on the internet but I can't find one).  Anyway here's my border fresh off the loom, these are all bits of plant from my garden.


 And then I brought it home and played with it a bit more, added some more stuff to the top (bits of actual harakeke flowers and flowers made from harakeke leaves. Then I joined the knitting and the border together and attached it to a stick so I could hang it up.

Finally I added some harakeke seed pods to the bottom, which seem to have an infinite number of seeds in them.

And now it hangs on a bedroom door casually dropping harakeke seeds below.


Saturday, May 13, 2017

13 May 2017

 I have a new loom, an Ashford Jack loom.  It was my birthday present.. For a couple of weeks the boxes lay on the dining room floor, then I finally unpacked it and started the assembly.

 And then it was a couple more weeks before I finally warped it up and started weaving.


The yarn is a cotton/rayon mix that I bought because it was cheap and I wanted something to practice with.  It came in two colours, navy and a sandy colour which I overdyed.  The resulting colours are what you end up with when you use dye solutions that are past their use-by-date, that's to day nothing like what was expected but at least it means that they're unique.





The pattern is a 2/2 twill uneven vertical zigzag, I didn't want to try anything too complicated as it was my first time using a floor loom.



And to finish, here's a photo of my lovely assistant.
 


April 2017

Love this seaweed, a pop of colour amongst the browns and greens.