Friday, 27 November 2015

Paua yarn

No, not yarn made from paua, though that would be rather awesome.  Just that the colours of this yarn remind me of paua shells.  I dyed carded wool of an unknown breed and then spun and plied it on itself. I still have a large bag of this wool so will be further dyeing experiments.

Saturday, 21 November 2015

21 November 2015

From this

 to this

to this

My first attempt at arty yarn, lots of things to do differently next time and I might even look at some instructions instead of guessing how to do things. :)

Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Dyeing experiments

 The Spinners and Weavers group I belong to had a retreat last weekend at Awhitu.  The weather was beautiful, and Saturday was perfect for dyeing. I had a few bags of fibre that other people had given away that I decided to dye in the hope that I will now do something with the results. Everything was dyed using Ashford wool dyes and the microwave method where you paint the dye on and wrap in gladwrap for steaming.  You can find a tutorial on this page.

First up is what we decided is probably mohair, it is very hairy whatever it is 
and has a slight sheen to it. It is the fibre equivalent to having a Welsh Springer Spaniel in the house as it just keeps on shedding.

 Then some carded wool fibre of unknown breed.  

And finally some mohair locks, they're still a bit wet in these photos so the colour is deeper than when they dried.

I'm spinning the locks above with some red merino.