Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Paper Tape

Having fun making paper tape.  Basically you just stick double-sided tape on the back of any paper you want to use and then cut into strips, however you can find more detailed instructions here: diy-printed-paper-tape

Monday, May 4, 2015

Spinning group today and we had a visitor who showed us how to do hairpin crochet.  So this is my first attempt.  This part is fairly easy, but then you have to join strips together and make something.  I think it is a good way to show off some of the multicoloured yarns that just get all muddled up and blurgh when you knit or crochet them.  Will have to investigate further.

Monday, March 30, 2015

New T-shirt

The pattern

Laid flat

And worn. It doesn't hang off the right shoulder like that all the time, just my stance.
Pattern: no.4 one-piece scoop neck asymmetrical top from Drape Drape 2 by Hisako Sato (the english version)

I have had both Drape Drape books for ages but this is the first item I have made from them. I made the L/XL size which is still a bit tight in the right arm.  The neckline is quite low, keep flashing my bra, so when I make this again (which I plan to) I'll adjust the neckline and try to figure out what to do about the right sleeve.

Thursday, March 26, 2015


I am doing the PaperLove e-course run by Rachel Hazell.  It's only the first week but I'm already realising just how much paper I have collected, some might say hoarded, around the place.  This week we are making Pamphlet Stitch pages.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Tea Towels (and a couple of face cloths)

Weaving has been happening.  Just practising and seeing how many mistakes I can fit into one tea towel.  The yarn is cottolin Ne 22/2 in blue and white. It is the same blue in both photos but the top photo is more accurate colourwise.  The patterned stripes in the bottom photo were made using simple pick-up patterns from "The Weaver's Idea Book" by Jane Patrick.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

sister MAG

Just popping in to say I have just discovered this new online magazine, sisterMAG.  The magazine has been around for a while as it's up to issue 17. Their blurb says that magazine topics range from fashion, food, DIY to technology, digital trends and other lifestyle issues and the magazine is targeted at widely interested, well-educated, independent women who are enthusiastic about the digital world and who want to read intelligent information presented in an appealing design. Obviously that's me to a T, it's like they know my life *  but what really made me look at this magazine is that it has free sewing patterns.  

The patterns (or at least the ones I have looked at) come in one size and the sizes seem to range from European 36 to 40.  The instructions assume you can sew, for example for the brown pleated skirt pattern:

 1. Mark pleats then baste.
2. Iron pleats.
3. Close side seams sewing in zipper on the left.
4. Try on skirt adjusting size if necessary.
5. Close pleats up 20cm/8”.
6. Finish the waistband

7. Sew the hem.
8. Re-iron pleats.

Right, I'm off to have a bit more of a look at the magazine.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to trying one of the patterns but if you have a go please leave a comment so I can see what you've made.

 * parts of that statement may not be completely true

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lola Pants

I've spent a lot of time looking at the StyleArc website, I like the look of quite a few of their patterns, but have always hesitated to buy any.  However they recently started selling pdf versions of some of their patterns through etsy and I finally succumbed and bought the Lola pants pattern.  The pdf is very simple to put together, the only problem I experienced was that my printer printed the watermark logo over the pattern instead of behind it which meant that parts of the pattern outline were missing.  However I contacted StyleArc  about this and within a day they had sent me a copy that worked with my printer.

 This is a basic pant pattern, with an elastic waistband  and elastic at the back cuffs. 

The instructions for the pockets are very basic,  I stitched around the pocket opening to make it look neater. A suggested option is to sew zips into the pocket openings.

I made a size 14 but ended up upicking the waistband and cutting the elastic down to the recommended length for size 12 as the pants were too loose around the waist. I'm not totally sure about the fit of these pants but they are comfortable to wear and I think they are a good casual pant.